Thursday, January 11, 2007

Equal Opportunity Slander

The other day a fellow cyclist commented on a bad experience she had with a motorist. While any road cyclist can recount a similar experience, I find that this is the exception rather than the rule. I have been riding the roads in the Frederick area for over 14 years and have only experienced a few truly rude drivers. One such incident is simply unforgettable. While on a ride my father and I waited at a stoplight in rural Carroll County. A pickup truck full of teenagers pealed out and screamed the N-word at my father and me. We found this comment both confusing and offensive. You see I am a lily white boy from Mount Airy (just note the zip-up sweater) and my father is arguably lilyer and whiter than me. Unsure of just how offended a white person should be in this situation we simply pedaled on. Well, there you have it folks. That is my most bizarre encounter with a motorist and I assure you it is true.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I noted the zip-up sweater before I even read the blog :)

Mike said...

Didn't Mr Rogers have a sweater like that?