Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Victory at 52.7


Well the leaves are now colorful and there is a nip in the air. Personally the changing of the seasons is also marked by an increase in sales of bike trainers, lights, cold weather apparel, and an increase in bicycle fittings. There is a special sub-season for me (and by default Danielle) of which you may not be aware. This is the period between the blistering heat and the freezing cold I call the period of bliss. This is the phase when we run neither the A/C nor the heat. Each season I have a personal goal of holding out longer than the previous year. The colder it gets the greater my personal sense of achievement. Last night the temperature dropped to 52.7 degrees… inside my house. I am reminded each year that Danielle does not get as big a kick out of this game as I. However, she is a trooper and is still hanging tough. As I flip through my catalogs to pick out a new wool jersey I can’t help but wonder how much longer I can last. Or more accurately how much longer I can play the game and still keep the peace at home.

2 comments:

Hjalti said...

You Sir, get a gold medal in the cheapskate olympics. Bravo. :^) our battle usually ends somewhere around 65, and that doesn't bother me a bit!

Anonymous said...

Tom! That is so mean of you... I would be devastated if Mike ever let the temp in the house go lower than 75! Danielle when your fed up and cant take it anymore, you know where we live and I promise you this.. you will always be warm : ) BTW, the pic of Danielle is priceless!!