Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Beauty and the Bicycle







As I roamed down the aisles of the 2009 North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) I was greeted with beautiful bicycle after beautiful bicycle. As I took it all in I paused to think about what makes a bike beautiful? Is it the intricately carved lugs? What about the little extras which add visually to the bike, but offer no utilitarian value to the machine.

I would argue that all of the bikes pictured are beautiful machines. The Peacock Grove dropouts show how fun a bicycle can be. The leafed vine on the Naked frame adds a touch of elegance and complements the bikes paint job. Finally, the clean lines and simple utilitarian nature of the ANT commuter bike remind me how useful a masterfully crafted bicycle can be.

The beauty of a bike is of course in the eye of the beholder. In short I believe the bicycle is as diverse as the people who ride them. They can be fun, funky, playful, all-business, super eccentric or even downright ugly. Fortunately the latter was not present at this year’s show.

What makes a bicycle beautiful to you?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have here...I wonder if you like bike then you must like bike games...you can play bike games at this site Bike Games. Also, you can play more game sites at Online Games, Kissing Games , Car Games, Driving Games, Truck Games, Dress Up Games, Games for Girls, Addicting Games and Girl Games.