Friday, May 25, 2007

My Trip to Specialized


The first week of May I traveled to Morgan Hill, California. For the second year in a row I attended Specialized Bicycle Component University (SBCU). These are classes put on by Specialized to educate their dealers. It is an intense 3-day program that crams your brain full of Specialized Propaganda. It's great!

I went to bed the first night before my roommate showed up. Around midnight I was awoken to the sounds of someone dropping their bags on the floor and closing the door. Ahhh…my roommate…was a guy! I was half asleep with drool on my pillow. After an exchange of awkwardness we decided they must mixed my name up with the name Daniel and it would be best if he got another room. The situation was weirder than a dude walking into the girl's bathroom. I ended up getting my own room complete with cable TV…what a treat!

During the class we learned about the newest products like their soon-to-be released 29er mountain bikes. We also met several of the engineers behind some of the coolest bikes like the Roubaix and the Enduro Pro. Another cool part of the course was company tour. They walked us through their testing areas, and the museum of crazy bike ideas.

The test rides are a big part of theses seminars (well, that and the good food). Everyday we got to test ride different Specialized bikes. This year I rode the women's specific Ruby, a carbon Roubaix, a carbon Tri-Cross and a women's specific Epic mountain bike.

My two favorite test ride bikes were the Roubaix and the Epic. I was anxious to compare the Epic to that of my Stumpjumper Expert. The Epic was great on the climbs, some of which were wretched, but it definitely felt a little more XCish than my Stumpy. I like my mountain bikes to be on the beefy side.

I really enjoyed my time in Morgan Hill.

2 comments:

Hjalti said...

I have noticed that you get to go on the cool trips and Tom has to stay in the trenches. You should cut him some slack :^)

Anonymous said...

Ha, I was just thinking the same thing.